Thursday, March 1, 2012

Pedigree Advertisement

http://www.joecrazy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/funny-ads-pedigree-smiley.jpg
So while I was perusing the internet, I came across a list of funny or weird ads (I was pulled in by the toothpaste advertisement of the man pulling the ad off of the billboard). Anyway, I decided to look through the list and found an assortment of funny ones, and some that were not as humorous (though they were trying to be). I think people who make these ads have to be careful about how humorous the advertisements are as well as the kind of humor that they use. Some of these do not tend to work well, because the things that the people think are funny are actually not considered so from the general public. For example, in my area the Bob Ruth Ford car dealer tries too hard to make commercials that they want to be funny, but they are actually stupid to the point where we refuse to listen to them. I think that while they try to take something from the movies or something pop culture related to make the commercials interesting to the listeners, we turn them off anyway in order to save our ears.

However, other commercials such as this one portray an actually humorous look, and yet at the same time interest the potential buyers of the product. I can personally relate to this, as my parents and I joke about how fat out yellow lab is (they tell me to ride him to school like a horse... but we all know that he wouldn't make it out of the front yard). It takes a funny approach at the fact that some dogs are just getting way too fat, especially since this one is no longer able to fit through the doggy door. It also draws upon the "cats vs. dogs" feeling that some people have, and is specifically expressed via the medium of the purple paint. This specific advertisement is an adorable look at the fact that the dog needs to lose weight, and the small slogan at the bottom is then able to draw the consumers into buying the product because of the vivid visual image.

2 comments:

  1. Hehe, this made me chuckle. Despite the humor, funny ads don't really sell the products for me. I usually pay attention to the joke and move on, unlike for serious commercials. I like to have a logical reason for buying a product, but that's just me. Maybe it works better for other people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that most commercials go a little over the top when trying to make a commercial funny to get their point across. It isn't very often that I actually find a commercial legitimately hilarious, but this cute little gem was pretty humorous.

    ReplyDelete